Date:      13 Sep 2002 13:48:20 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        alane@geeksrus.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Gnome Team <gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fork bombs registering packages using GNOMENG

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 13:37, Alan E wrote:
> I've noticed a distressing trend in ports which use the GNOMENG
> configuration interface. If you set USE_GNOME on the make command line,
> the port is likely to fork makes until it can't fork anymore - each one
> forks a child, which forks a child, which ... up to thousands of them.
>
> For example, irc/xchat: "make USE_GNOME=gtk12 package" will fork bomb
> during the registering package phase of the post-installation code.

Why are you doing this?  This is wrong.  You should never specify USE_*
on the make command line.  If you're trying to enforce GNOME dependence,
use:

make -DWITH_GNOME package

> There's something seriously wrong here. I'm using an absolutely
> up-to-date ports tree (updated every 2 hours). Does anybody have a clue
> as to how this could be happening?
>
> Personally, I don't think the GNOMENG code was ready for prime time,
> and the ports were not updated thoroughtly. Two ports so far, xmms and
> sdl12, can't turn off esound support without Makefile modifications.
> I'm sure there are others. BTW Max could you please commit the fix to
> sdl12? I cc'd you on the pr. Thanks.

This has nothing to do with GNOMENG.  Apparently xmms was broken even
under the old GNOME infrastructure.  No where in bsd.gnome.mk does it
pass --disable-esound to configure.  Since sobomax is the maintainer of
sdl12, I think I'll let him do the commit.

I agree there were some problems with the switch-over.  I'm trying to
get those cleaned up.  However, I think the problems you're describing
are a mix of user error and pre-existing bugs.

Joe