Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2016 18:58:18 -0400
From:      Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
To:        Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com>
Subject:   Re: curl and nginx no longer build on same host

Hello,

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:44 PM, Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 05:11 SGT, Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in> wrote:=20=

>>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>>> On Jul 18, 2016, at 4:37 PM, Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com> wrote:
>=20
>>> OK, I'm clear about the make.conf options and what they mean. But I stil=
l have a problem in that even if I use DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl, ft=
p/curl will not build, certainly not with portmaster and I think I tried bui=
lding it manually from inside it's ports directory.
>>>=20
>>> /usr/ports/ftp/curl]# make
>>> =3D=3D=3D>  curl-7.49.1 GSSAPI_BASE is not compatible with OpenSSL from p=
orts. Use
>>> other GSSAPI options or OpenSSL from base system.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>=20
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /usr/ports/ftp/curl
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> So basically, I'd have to change one of the GSSAPI options in ftp/curl. E=
xcept I haven't got a clue on the ramifications of this. Do I need GSSAPI? I=
f so, should I use Heimdal or MIT?
>>>=20
>>> So you see my point, it's not friendly on new FreeBSD users. I'm a fairl=
y experienced FreeBSD sys-adimin and I don't know what to do in this case.
>>>=20
>>> At least I now know that there is a good reason to not have on port buil=
t against base openssl and another built against ports openssl.
>>=20
>> So basically they've deprecated a useful option without replicating the f=
unctionality. Bravo!=20
>>=20
>> Fortunately, it still works as intended.
>=20
>=20
> Aha, I got ftp/curl to build using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=3Dyes. Don't know why=
 I didn't try it before, perhaps since it is deprecated.
>=20
> So, I think we need to address some shortcoming in the new macro DEFAULT_V=
ERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl.
>=20
> Perhaps I should create a new thread, with a more appropriate subject line=
? Any suggestions?

That's evidently above my pay grade.

I recall recently there was a discussion of building all ports against the o=
penssl port. It got lengthy and I stopped reading it. That's what that funct=
ion does. Deprecating that function without forcing use of the openssl port w=
as not wise IMMHO, but again, my opinion apparently doesn't matter.=20

--
Jim=