Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:25:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

> You need to look at Bugtraq as well

I did already.

> Also, I think the point of PAM is to let people use modules other
> than the ones that we use... so that argument is rather pointless.

What argument?  I have no intention of taking responsibility for bugs
in modules that other people wrote.  If you want to use them, it's up
to you to convince yourself that they're OK.

> Here is a bug that will be common in network applications like ftpd
> linked to use PAM:
>
>         http://geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1998_1/0111.html

This is a bug in the Solaris ftpd, and has nothing to do with PAM.

> I don't know if you are using the rhost module, but if so, this may
> be relevent:

I didn't use any of the Linux modules.

> Also, PAM can become vulnerable based on libc implementation, since
> it is a consumer of libc; here's one example:
>
>         http://geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1997_2/0228.html

This is about a Linux libc bug, combined with a stupid blunder by a
Linux system "administrator".  Anyway, everything that is linked with
libc is vulnerable to bugs in it.  PAM is not special in that sense.

> Also, is our qpopper port still vulnerable to:
>
>         http://geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1998_2/0657.html
>
> ???

I have no idea.  What is the relevance to PAM?
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken