Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:06:47 -0800
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GMT cron

On 12 Nov 98, at 17:28, Jon Hamilton wrote:

> You can start cron in an environment where $TZ is set to GMT - rather
> than the following line in /etc/rc:
>
> echo -n ' cron';                cron
>
> you might try:
>
> echo -n ' cron';                TZ=GMT cron
>
> This will cause cron to schedule your jobs according to GMT, so if you had
>
> 23 23 * * * /bin/date
>
> your job would run at 23:23 GMT.  However, the output of /bin/date will
> reflect your local timezone.  For me, the output of the above scenario
> is
>
> Thu Nov 12 17:23:01 CST 1998
>
> So you'll need to arrange for your jobs themselves to also set $TZ if you
> want them to output in GMT as well.

Thanks, I might try that, though that'll make everything in cron run
at GMT.  I was hoping for a way to control that per item.  I've also
been considering the possibility of just configuring the whole
system for GMT instead of local time, but I'm not sure what kinds
of annoying side-effects that might have.

Dave