Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2012 19:27:09 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/171584: lang/python32 built in a clean enviroment produces a package that conflicts with lang/python27

--g7w8+K/95kPelPD2

Koop Mast wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2012:

> I don't have a solution for this issue, but I would like to point out
> that the next version of GNOME 3 (3.8 series) will switch to python 3.
> While I think that we can get away with having python 2.7 as default,
> having the two python versions conflict isn't going to help at all.

I do not see the issue with the ports system here, but rather with
package managers, which do not handle conditional behaviour in ports
well enough.

There would be several solutions:

* get rid completely of bin/2to3, bin/pydoc<PYMAJOR>, bin/idle<PYMAJOR,
  bin/python and so on, which is likely to break tons of ports and 3rd
  party software without a chance to ever fix this cleanly

* add the symlink creation for bin/python, etc. to the existing
  meta-package lang/python (where it belongs anyways in my opinion) and
  into relevant <PYMAJOR> meta-packages lang/python2, lang/python3,
  etc., which depend on a default version (usually the latest one),
  which can be overriden by users

* fix up or enhance the package managers to support the conditionals
  within the ports.

I would prefer the second solution, which manages the symlink creation
in own packages and ports.

Cheers
Marcus

--g7w8+K/95kPelPD2