Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:21:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Hostas Red <kong@kong.spb.ru>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh 1.2.25: port broken on current

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Hostas Red wrote:

> > > Yes, it is. But - /usr/lib/aout/libc.so.3.1 (jun,16) almost the same date
> > > as /usr/include/arpa/inet.h (jun 12), but /usr/lib/libc.so.3.1 is
> > > (may,26). But - /usr/lib/aout in LIBPATH, not /usr/lib. Whats the problem?
> >
> > At a guess, your ldconfig path in /etc/rc is putting /usr/lib first so
> > you're getting the "old" library...
>
> No way, I've checked it twice. :(
>
> I'm still searching for a clue.

I reported this problem to -ports a few days ago (I thought I had updated
both my includes and libraries correctly, but it still wasnt compiling the
port). At some point since, though, I must have done something to fix it
because it's now working for me.

I think I might have been forgetting the first part in "make depend &&
make all && make install" (remaking sources is a lot quicker this way than
"make world" since make world does a lot of careful rebuilding of the
tools it will need to compile the rest of the world (so it's fine to do
the former if you're running from a recent current and there have been no
catastrophic changes to the tools, libraries, etc, in the meantime). It's
also a /lot/ faster if you already have a populated obj tree (i.e.
haven't done a 'make clean', since it only recompiles the stuff which has
changed). However it was pointed out to me that skipping the 'make depend'
step can lead to things not being recompiled, even if the source has
changed.

If you've already successfully completed a 'make world' or 'make
depend && make all && make install' (and rebooted, maybe), and your
libraries and header files past the tests which someone else gave before,
I don't know what you could do track it down. Check whether your source
tree has current & uncorrupted versions of the relevant code, I guess.

Kris