Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:53:06 +0100
From:      Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
To:        Jason Barnes <jbarnes@c3po.barnesos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs in 5.0

Quoting Jason Barnes <jbarnes@c3po.barnesos.net>:

> 	I am sorry to bother you all with this, but I fundamentally don't
> understand the new devfs system in 5.0.  I am trying to get a usb mouse
> working -- under 4.x I would do

OK Here is my understanding of devfs on 5.0

If a device is detected and needs an entry in /dev/ the kernel automatically
creates it.
For example (the test I made):

There is no ttyp0 in /dev/. Now login through SSH on your FBSD 5.0 machine.
You'll see 2 new devices in /dev/ that are needed for the SSH session apparently.

You cant try by doing

cd /dev/
ls -l | wc -l

*ssh the machine

ls -l | wc -l

you'll see there are more devices.

Now for your USB mouse, I assume that if the kernel reconize it (dmesg | grep
ums) it should be created in /dev/.

Double check dmesg to be sure it's in there.

Cya

--
Pierrick Brossin
IT Swiss - QUARK Media House