Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:47:26 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Arash Farahmand <afarah@mictlan.sfsu.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jon O." <netcmd@networkcommand.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time and history

Arash Farahmand wrote:

> Unix time counter will reset sometime in the year 2037 (again, please
> correct me if this is wrong).  Although this is relatively far in the
> future,

People in 1963 were probably saying that about the year 2000, and look
at the mess people have got into now.

> is there any plan to modify the time counter on Unix machines to cope
> with the next time bug? ;-)

With any luck, we'll all be using 64-bit machines by then, and this
won't be an issue, since time_t can be made a 64-bit value. I make 2^63
seconds to be about 288 billion years, which is almost certainly way
beyond the lifetime of our Sun and/or Earth. I can't see Unix's time
mechanism changing from secs since 00:00:00 1970-01-01, it would confuse
too many people.

time_t and friends could probably be made a 64-bit value even on 32-bit
machines, but I don't know what this would do to performance.  (How do
32-bit machines to 64-bit math anyway? I guess I should find out.)

Incidentally, someone the other day mentioned in a newsgroup that when
the seconds-since-1970 value hits 10 digits (this isn't very far away,
only a couple of years I think), this might confuse some software
which has expected 9 digit values (which has been the case since about
1973). I wouldn't be at all surprised if such software existed, it's no
more or less stupid than storing two digit years.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and