Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:20:57 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        alexis georges <floating_in_space_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: port

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:08:58PM +0000, alexis georges wrote:
> hello,
> let's say i have an idea of a particular app that would be nice to includ=
e=20
> in the ports, would i need to provice my own server for ppl to retrieve t=
he=20
> file when installing the port?
> thanks a lot

If you mean a new application that you will be developing, not one that
already exists and is distributed via WWW or FTP or some other channel,
then yes, in general you will need to take care of hosting the
distribution files.  If you intend to develop an open-source
application, there are several sites that offer free hosting of
open-source CVS repositories and the resulting distfiles; SourceForge -
http://www.sourceforge.net/ - comes to mind immediately.

It is also possible that after you develop the application and put it up
somewhere temporarily for people to see it, somebody else will like it
and offer to host the distfiles for you.  However, this will depend
heavily on what exactly kind of application you have in mind :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--