Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:16:54 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Andy Myers <andy@frozentundra.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live! or PCI512 help

On Thursday 07 February 2002 09:44 pm, Andy Myers wrote:
> Try changing the output driver from OSS, to eSound.
>
> I had this problem with my SB Live using xmms in Gnome.  I
> just changed the plugin that xmms was using for output to
> eSound.  Problem solved for me.
>
> Good luck.

   Thanks for the suggestion, Andy.  I'm feeling pretty ignorant,
about now.  I don't know what software is needed to make noise; I
simply selected some packages that I thought would do the trick when
I installed FBSD 4.4 (via sysinstall, assuming the dependencies would
be taken care of), so I'm now wondering if I even have all that I
need.
   I just had a look at my installed packages and found:

$ pkg_info -aI | grep xmms
$ pkg_info -aI | grep mpg
$ pkg_info -aI | grep oss
jbigkit-1.2         Lossless compression for bi-level images such as
scanned pa
$ pkg_info -aI | grep esound
esound-0.2.22       A sound library for enlightenment package
esound-0.2.8        a sound library for enlightenment package

   So, it looks like I already have esound...  Perhaps I should try
reinstalling it...  Any other suggestions?

Thanks, again,
Bob

--
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so
ingenious." --  Roger Berg