Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 21:51:10 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'nate@root.org'" <nate@root.org>, "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   re: aic7902: Ultra320 and ses with SEAGATE ST318452LW

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Nate Lawson wrote:
>On Sat, 3 May 2003, Don Bowman wrote:
>> I'm finding that I don't get any ses device with this
> adapter.
>>
>> The system is a supermicro x5dpr motherboard, 2x 2.8GHz
>> XEON with 533MHz FSB. The adaptec 7902 is onboard in this
>> system.
>>
>Are you sure your drive is in an enclosure that offers SES?  ses(4) only
>attaches to devices that claim they are of type T_ENCLOSURE (see
>ses_type() in sys/cam/scsi/scsi_ses.c).  I don't see any devices
>like that in your dmesg.
>
>-Nate

Hmmm, you could be correct. This isn't an enclosure per se, just a drive in
the case. I was confused since earlier similar systems i used supported ses
on the drive or on the adapter on the motherboard, but this one doesn't seem
to.

Instead, this drive supports SMART.
"The operating mode of S.M.A.R.T. is controlled by the DEXCPT bit
and the PERF bit of the "Informational Exceptions Control Mode Page" (1Ch).
The DEXCPT bit is used to enable or disable the S.M.A.R.T.
process. Setting the DEXCPT bit will disable all S.M.A.R.T. functions. When
enabled, S.M.A.R.T. will collect on-line data as the drive
performs normal read/write operations. When the PERF bit is set,
the drive is considered to be in "On-line Mode Only" and will not
perform off-line functions."

So I guess I will investigate that instead.