Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:33:24 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Almost serial consoles.

In message <14679.28368.157426.659715@trooper.velocet.net> David Gilbert writes:
: While we have for some time used serial consoles from realweasel.com,
: we are faced with a number of server motherboards without ISA slots.
: I found it fairly easy to get the kernel to boot against the serial
: console and there is an option in the kernel config to set the console
: speed.
:
: It is also possible to set console="comconsole" in /boot/loader.conf,
: but I can't see a setting for the serial speed.  Is that possible?

Yes, but you must build bootblocks yourself.  Look in
sys/boot/${arch}/lib${arch}/comconsole.c for the COMSPEED parameter.

I have boot blocks that boot at 115200 over COM3 in an embedded SBC we
at Timing Solutions have.  It works great, although we might not ship
the final proudct like this for other reasons.

Warner