Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 00:35:22 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@cleese.apana.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel changes between 2.0-RELEASE and snapshot

>Time permitting, could someone please forward me a list of kernel changes
>and/or bug fixes between 2.0-RELEASE and the latest snapshot?  I'm having
>stability problems on my public access UNIX, and it'd be nice if changes
>in the latest release have fixed 'em.

   Hmmm...well, we don't have such a list. If you are interested in hearing
about the changes as they happen, you should subscribe to the CVS commit
mailing list - this way you will get the log messages via email when they
happen. Other than a general 'new features' summary that is provided with each
new release, the CVS commit log is the only description of the changes being
made to the FreeBSD source tree.
   I'm not aware of any bugs that cause 'hangs' in 2.0 that prevent you from
entering the kernel debugger...not to say that one doesn't exist...but I
haven't seen or heard of any (other than with your report). Are you sure that
you are attempting to enter the debugger correctly? And you are sure that you
have DDB in your kernel config file? Just making sure...
   On the positive note, there have been a large number of bug fixes since
2.0-release. The latest snapshot has serious problems, however, and while the
next one should be the best one yet, I'm not sure that it would be wise to
switch to it (considering the kind of load that your machine is experiancing)
until the code has been shaken out a bit more.
   ...On the other hand, testing on a machine with a high load such as yours
is good way to ensure that the bugs that do exist are fixed before the 2.1
release. Whether or not you wish to be involved in this is a different matter,
however. :-)

-DG