Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:03:18 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GJournal (hopefully) final patches.

--6lCXDTVICvIQMz0h

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:59:09PM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:52:02PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > Another change is that now from a configuration point of view gjournal
> > is threated simlar to soft-updates - you need to specify -J flag at
> > newfs(8) time or use 'tunefs -J enable <fsdev>'. 'gjournal' is no longer
> > a mount option.
>=20
> Does this restrict gjournal to UFS only?
>=20
> I've not been following this closely, but I saw the original announcement:
>=20
> "GJournal was designed to journal GEOM providers, so it actually works
> below file system layer, but it has hooks which allow to work with
> file systems. In other words, gjournal is not file system-depended,
> it can work probably with any file system with minimum knowledge
> about it. I implemented only UFS support."
>=20
> I just wondered if gjournal support is likely to be limited to UFS now.

You can use gjournal without file system, but most users are interested
in journaling the UFS file system. This is the only file system
supported currently by gjournal. If you want to use it with another file
system, support for it has to be added to gjournal.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--6lCXDTVICvIQMz0h

--6lCXDTVICvIQMz0h--