Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:46:22 -0500
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        "julesg@newebmail.com" <julesg@newebmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: assistance with the LAMAQQ 56k usb modem requested

> --------------------
>
> [off topic]
>
> By the way, when I very recently purchased the laptop from my computer
> vendor, the transaction was handled in such a way that it seemed pretty
> clear to me that MS had (very likely) pushed DELL in such a way so as to
> avoid the most recent gov't monopoly restrictions but still make it
> unrealistic for anyone purchasing a laptop to be offered a non-MS OS
> within the US.
>
> How many people were able to purchase their lap-top without paying for an
> unwanted MS operating system?  Not me, either.)
>
> I did mention this to a friend of mine who is an attorney (who runs a
> non-MS office,) and he asked me to find out if anyone was able to purchase
> (or was offered,) their laptop with a non-MS OS.
>
> Anyone?

Though I was personally unable to get a non-MS OS with my new IBM,
while I was in the market, I often would price laptops and explicitly
ask the policies about not getting MS/getting MS refunded.  I got the
latter agreed-upon by some companies, although almost noone would send
without it installed.  Gateway was among the companies I got to agree
to a refund after about 1.5 hours of talking to their sales people and
managers/manger's managers/etc.  So it may very well be possible with
enough phone conversation to look at a refund for the price of the
software.  If you read the EULA, you'll see that it is the hardware
manufacturer's responsibility in the case of OEM copies of Windows XP
(a change from it being MS's responsibility in earlier versions of
windows).  Thought I'd send along my $.02

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.