Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:11:52 -0800
From:      Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   serious Openoffice-1.1.3-swriter hang

Normally I would take this to the openoffice support forum, the problem
is unusual enough that I thought you guys might want to know.  I could
not find any mentions of a similar problem anywhere else.  The problem
is severe, but has only occurred twice and is not consistent repeatable.

I am running FreeBSD 5.3, Xorg-6.7.0, fluxbox-0.1.14_2, and
jdk-1.4.2p6_7.  I installed Openoffice-1.1.3_1 from the port.

When I started "openoffice-1.1.3-swriter", the splash screen appears
fine, when the window title bar and frame appears with out contents, and
  hangs.  At this point, the second time it happened I waited for about
half an hour with no change.  In both cases it was when I tried to kill
the process that the fun really began.

The following are the processes that appear in the "ps -waux" listing:

user   xxxx1  0.0  0.4  1672  972  ??  Is    9:42PM   0:00.01 /bin/sh -c
  openoffice-1.1.3-swriter
user   xxxx2  0.0  0.4  1672 1000  ??  I     9:42PM   0:00.01 /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/openoffice-1.1.3-swriter
user   xxxx6  0.0 22.6 98072 58268  ??  S     9:42PM   0:08.81
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/program/soffice.bin -writer

Now normally when killing a hung program, will start with the last
process created and work my way backwards until the whole thing is gone.
  However when I tried that this time, the third process could not be
killed, even with signal 9.  So tried kill the other two, they died just
fine, the third would still not die.  So I tried shutting down X, which
shutdown fine, but still left "soffice.bin -writer" still running, I
tried the killing with signal 9 again, again nothing happened.  At this
the first time, I tried "shutdown -r now", the only unusual message (and
this if from memory so forgive me if it is not exact) was at the point
where the system drops into single user mode, it was:
"some processes would not stop, ps axl notified"
at which point it goes on clearing buffers and syncing the disks, the
disk sync completes, there is a message about no buffers in use, at
which point it hangs, and will not complete the shutdown.
The second time openoffice writer hung, instead of trying to shutdown
and reboot all at once, I used "shutdown now" to drop into single user
mode. In single user mode using "ps -waux" the "soffice.bin -writer"
process was still showing up, I tried one more time to kill it, and
still it would not die.  At this point I tried to complete the shutdown
with "halt", as the first the shutdown hung immediately upon completing
the disk sync.
At this stage in both instances when the shutdown was hung, I tried
turning the computer off with the power button on the front (soft power
button) in both cases it would not shut off the computer.  I got a acpi
error message saying that the button was ignored because the computer
wasn't ready. In both cases I then resorted to the hard power switch
located on the power supply in the back of the case.

As I said this problem has only occurred twice but was significant
enough I thought you would want to know.  It has also only occurred with
writer, I have also used calc fairly often with out issue.  I have not
used any other applications significantly yet.

As near as I can remember, in both instances at the time the problem
occurred I was also running thunderbird-1.0rc and Mozilla 1.7.3 at the
same time.  Also I don't know if it would be related but OO has been
core dumping whenever I try to print a MS Word doc, however it usually
works fine if I save the doc in an openoffice format, and re-open it,
and then print.  That last is repeatable, and if you want I get you a
copy of the core.

Feel free to e-mail me, if you have any other questions.

Jeffrey Williams
jeff@sailorfej.net