Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 01:11:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum RAID-5 again

Hello,
	I got this sample RAID-5 config off of lemis.com/vinum and it
seems over simplified to the point where I don't think I understand it. If
at any time in this message you think I need to go back and RTFM please
stop reading and let me know that. This is the sample config for RAID-5
that I am referring to:

drive e device /dev/da6h
volume raid5
  plex org raid5 512k
    sd length 128m drive a
    sd length 128m drive b
    sd length 128m drive c
    sd length 128m drive d
    sd length 128m drive e

I have a couple of questions about this. Is this config only slicing up
one drive? That is what I gather from the config but the theory behind
RAID-5 is that you need at least 3 for there to be a point in using
RAID-5. So one of my many questions is that where do the drive a, drive b,
drive c, drive d, and drive e 's come from? Are there seperated
statements for those devices like there is for the drive e? Something such
as  drive a devide /dev/da0h?
I guess I am just confused. Let me hit you up with the scenario that I am
trying to use RAID-5 in. I have 4 external seagate drives of 23gigs each.
I want to use those 4 drives in a RAID-5 array. They are da0 through da3.
The drive where the OS sits is da4. I am wondering what I need to do to
get RAID-5 running across those four drives. Thanks for all of your help.
I appreciated it.