Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:53:49 -0800
From:      Tomasz Konefal <twkonefal@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd routing issue

hello, everyone.

   i've got a funny network layout (it's in transition) and am seeing
behaviour from FreeBSD 5.2.1 that's different from an Alcatel 6600-24
and a Nortel 1424T router.  that is, when i use FreeBSD to do my routing
everything works, but when i use either of the other routers things
don't work.  there's a VIVID router we're phasing out, see below.  i'll
outline the network layout below and how things fail on the alcatel and
the nortel.  when the vivid disappears from the picture our routing
issues clear up immedeately, but my question is:  does the FreeBSD
router work in the scenario below because of a bug or because of a feature?

                   +-----------+      +==========+
                   | firewall  |======| INTERNET |
                   +-----------+

+-------------+   +---------------+     +------------------------+
| 10.0.1.0/24 |---| VIVID router  |-----| Alcatel/Nortel/FreeBSD |<=HERE
+-------------+   | 10.0.1.254    |     | 10.0.1.1     10.0.2.48 |
IP:10.0.1.x       +---------------+     +------------------------+
GW:10.0.1.254     route: default          route: default      |
                   next hop: 10.0.1.1      next hop: 10.0.1.5  |

                                          +----------------------+
                                          | metro network router |
                                          | 10.0.2.64            |
                                          +----------------------+

                                          +===============+
                                          | metro network |
					 | 10.0.3.0/24   |
                                          +===============+

   so, the network looks like the diagram above.  putting aside the fact
that this is a pretty dumb layout, i'm curious why the router point
labeled "<=HERE" acts the way it does.  when FreeBSD 5.2.1 (haven't
tried other releases) is doing the routing at that spot all the
workstations in the 10.0.1.0/24 block can see the internet and the metro
network and vice versa.  when the alcatel 6600-24 or the nortel 1424T is
in that place all routing to the internet and to the metro network fails
even though the routing tables are the same.  can someone shed some
light on this for me?  is it possible than Spanning Tree Protocol is
getting involved on the nortel and the alcatel or perhaps some other
feature?  note, i'm not inquiring on how to fix my network layout, only
why FreeBSD works in this scenario while other equipment fails.

thanks!
   Tomasz