Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:25:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        SweeTLeaF@myrealbox.com
Cc:        owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, haarberg@junglemate.com (Ryan Haarberg), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question on Multi OSes

> Hello Ryan,
>
> Friday, September 27, 2002, 2:52:43 PM, you wrote:
>
> RH> Dear Representative,
>
> RH> I am planning on setting a Dell Inspiron 8200 over the weekend. I plan on installing Win XP, Free BSD, and BeOS. Are there any restictions I should keep in mind on partitioning? I plan on
> RH> formating three partitions as FAT 32. The first one 24 Gb with Win XP (for work), then a 2 Gb for learning FreeBSD and then a 2 Gb for an old favorite BeOS. The only thing I am wondering is if
> RH> this layout will work? it seems that I had read somewhere that FreeBSD should be within the first 4 Gb of the first hard drive (but I can not seem to find this in the FAQ, is this true. Do you
> RH> have any reccommednations?

I have read that this depends on the quality of your BIOS.  Earlier
ones had a similar limit which was based on the size of the space
allotted to counting the cylinders and was generally 1024 cylinders.
I understand that most recent BIOSes have been improved to beat
this problem.   My only dual boot so far is on a machine with only
an 8 GB disk (the one I am typing on at the moment) and given that
size I didn't need to try pushing any boundaries.   I am about to
do another, though in a week or so and it has a bigger disk, so...

Recommendation:   Try it and see how it works.

Being able to boot from a second disk I think depends on the quality
of the MBR that you install.  Some seem to manage that OK.  I haven't
tried it yet.

////jerry