Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 03:43:05 -0800
From:      "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Windows printing fails on 3.1-stable via Samba 2.0.3

I replaced my 2.2.8 installation with a clean 3.1-stable (though uname
says -RELEASE for some reason).  On 2.2.8, I had samba installed so that
Windows machines on the LAN could print to the HP Deskjet 870cxi connected
to FreeBSD's parallel port.  This all worked great with 2.2.8, but fails now
under 3.1.

After installing 3.1, I looked for a samba package, but couldn't find one in
the appropriate place.  So I grabbed the samba 2.0.3 port for 3.1-stable,
compiled and installed it, and it appears to be working fine for file
sharing, browsing, etc.  It even tries to talk to the printer.  But when I
print something (e.g., a Windows printer "test page"), the HP either prints
a tiny bit of the page, garbage, or nothing at all, and then begins sending
an endless number of formfeeds causing blank pages to eject.  I have to stop
the printer, kill the lpd processes, and remove the print job for it to
stop.

I looked in the printer FAQs, and handbook, but couldn't find anything that
would indicate that something has changed with 3.1 that I should be aware
of.  I'm using the same printcap I used with 2.2.8 (I print to
\\hostname\djraw from the Windows machines):

djraw:HP DeskJet 870Cxi Raw Output:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:mx#0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdjraw:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :ff=\033E:fo:sh:tr=\033E:

lp|djet870:HP DeskJet 870Cxi:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj:lp=/dev/lpt0:mx#0:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/ifhp:

The good news is that text-based printing using the second entry works just
fine from within the FreeBSD world.  So I know that, at that level anyway,
FreeBSD and the printer are happy.

On a related note, Windows 2000/NT supports TCP/IP printing services.  Would
it be possible to bypass Samba completely by having the FreeBSD machine act
as a virtual Internet printer interface?  Seems to me that some IP daemon
could run on it, listening on a particular address and port assigned to the
printer, and emulate a true TCP/IP addressable printer (which my Deskjet
870cxi is not) -- something like the HP JetDirect box which does the same
thing on port 9100.  Possible to emulate that functionality within FreeBSD
itself?

--Morgan Davis