Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:12:52 +0100
From:      Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any good backup-programs?

Hello.

I'd like to implement some backup-solution on my FreeBSD 4.5 box, but I'm
not sure which backup-system would be the right for me. I've read a bit
about tar, dump, Amanda etc., but I'm not sure what to go for.

The FreeBSD-box doesn't have any tapedrive, CD-burner etc., but I'd still
like it to be the backup master, creating ISO-images that can be burned on
another computer.

The backup-solution should be able to handle the following:

- backing up selected areas of the FreeBSD-box directory-structure
- backing up remote volumes (specifically: SMB shares on two Windows 2K/XP
computers)
- being capable of doing both full and incremental backups
- the backup-data should ideally be put into an ISO image, ready for
transfer/burning at another computer
- it should keep catalogs of what's being backed up, making it easy to find
out where a file or directory was backed up

I could always make some rudimentary solution by writing shell or
Perl-scripts that do a "tar" of some directories, "smbtar" of some
SMB-shares" etc., but if there already exists a solution/framework for this
I'll try that instead.

--
Eivind Olsen
eivind@aminor.no