Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:23:42 -0400
From:      Pierre-Luc =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lesp=E9rance?= <ghislainl@videotron.ca>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IPFW

Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE with my transparent bridge/firewall setup to
> protect my network.  I'm wondering why ipfw is returning packets, which I
> assume it's doing, when it filters a particular port like this:
>
> "139/tcp    filtered    netbios-ssn"
>
> result from an nmap scan.  I would rather, like blackhole, just silently
> drop the packet, which causes the port scanner to lag all to hell and wait
> for the response timeout.  Of course I have blackhole turned on, and that
> works for the FreeBSD box itself, but it does not work for the packets
> blocked by ipfw.  Is there an IPFW option to drop a packet silently with no
> RST or ICMP returned (or anything else) ?

I tried IPFilter with net.inet.tcp.blackhole and some return-icmp
First I send "destination unreachable" using that rule

block return-icmp (3) in quick on ed0 proto tcp from any to any port =
21

And I used nmap and it showed
21/tcp     closed      ftp

And after that I try "IP header bad"

block return-icmp (12) in quick on ed0 proto tcp from any to any port =
21
and It wasn't showed in the nmap ( 2.54BETA29 ) report

I don't know if it's what you want and I KNOW that IPFilter isn't IPFW !