Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 12:55:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Heikki Suonsivu wrote:

> We get panics, sometimes lockups, at pace of 1-2 machines per day (from a
> pool of approximately ~5 servers and ~15 routers or terminal servers built
> on top of FreeBSD.  I'm running -current.  On servers the problems seem
> often to be scsi related.  On routers panics seem very rare, on terminal
> (modem) servers and routers with serial ports panic about once a week.

I'm sure you're aware that -current is considered "Bleeding Edge" and
should definitely NOT be used in a production environment unless you're
willing to deal with crashes, broken-ness in the source tree, etc!
Really, -stable or even RELEASE is a much better choice.

> BTW, Out-of-box Slackware installation doesn't format the manual pages
> either, at least it was like that some time ago.

I seem to recall that Slackware ONLY came with preformatted (and gzipped)
man pages for most commands.

---Jake