Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:41:34 +0100
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: multiple tape backups

Greg Lehey wrote (2000/11/07):
> On Sunday,  5 November 2000 at 17:50:11 -0500, Lanny Baron wrote:
> > Hello Greg,
> > Would you know if /bin/chio will be able to make the robotic arm of an
> > Exabyte EZ-17 Tape Autoloader work?
> >
> > If not, would you know what must be done in order for a tape mechanism
> > like this to insert new tape (comes with 7 tapes in a bay) at end of tape
> > when backing up systems?
>
> Lanny, I've asked you before to send this kind of message to
> - -questions.  I don't know the answer for sure.  I could guess an
> answer, or say "try it and see", but if you have to buy a unit to try,
> that may be less than sufficient.  Maybe somebody else knows the
> answer.

;-) Hi, for example, we have Exabyte EZ-17 autoloader with M2 tape drive.
/bin/chio works very well. There is only one bug/feature, which I do not
like (I have contacted our support and I hope it will be solved): If
I turn on autoloader and there is a tape in the tape drive, it refuses
to scan slots in a bay (cartridge).

If you could not use chio, there is a sequential mode
(http://www.exabyte.com/suppserv/pubs/library/ez17/32882403.pdf,
Chapter 8: Sequential Operation), where tape eject (mt offline)
is sufficient to pass through tapes in a cartridge.

If you want M2 tape drive too, it has to be very new
drive (and new tapes)!

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science