Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 17:22:17 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site search engines for FreeBSD server?

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 09:23:36AM -0700, Graeme Tait wrote:
> Paul Saab wrote:
> >
> > have you looked at ht://dig? (http://www.htdig.org/)
>

> No, and it may be interesting for some things. Does it run under FreeBSD?

Yes, it runs well and is superior to anything i've seen for modest
sites. Nowhere near as complicated as a Harvest system, either.

> However, some of my applications may not fit it. They involve indexing large numbers
> of files (hundreds of thousands). All the files reside on the machine that does the
> indexing. Glimpse does a good job of this, building compact indices from the

Configured for "fuzzy" (spelling, synonyms, endings, soundex, metaphone)
searches, htdig is considerably slower and less powerful than a harvest +
glimpse combination for LARGE sites. If your site is as large as you say
it is, people will routinely be hitting their browser's stop button. Those
that dont will often get timed out.

However, it's a snap to set up so you may want to try it for yourself.
You can spread out multiple copies of it to service different sections
of your site, perhaps.