Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:31:28 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        mailings@analogon.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Warning: a geometry of 116280/16/63 for ad0 is incorrect

Thomas Beer wrote:
[ ... ]
> What seems strange between 4.x and 5.x in the fdisk partition
> table is, after deleting the slice yet to install FBSD
> and create a FBSD slice 4.x simple deletes and creates the
> slice, 5.x adds an additional unused "slice".

Hmm.  If this unused slice is very tiny (less than 1% of the total capacity),
it may be the remainder of the disk which unused due to the way the partition
table values get rounded.

I suppose I've gotten used to only being able to fit 80 or so "real megabytes"
onto a "100MB drive" due to this and that (1.0e6 "MB" versus 1.05e6 "MiB",
newfs' reserved space, etc)...

--
-Chuck