Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2000 13:37:18 -0500
From:      "Phastnet" <phastnet@bellsouth.net>
To:        <dan@freebsddiary.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: switch from natd to ipnat

Thanks for the help! I now have it working great! Active FTP's work
perfectly now :)  Your website helped a ton, but I did notice one thing
you MIGHT want to change on your site.  When I was reading on your
page how to setup ipfilter (http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipfilter334.html),
you said to "Remember to add kernel support for ipnat before recompiling."
So I added "options IPFILTER" like you say to do on your ipnat page,
then went back to install ipfilter. When I did step #3: run "FreeBSD-3/
kinstall" , it asked if it could modify MYKERNEL for me. I allowed it to
do it, then went and checked what it did. The only thing I could find
changed
was the addition of 2 more lines:
options    IPFILTER
options    IPFILTER_LOG

the line I added for ipnat was also still there, so I just deleted it since
it was now
a duplicate.  I rebuilt the kernel, rebooted, and everything worked sweet
after I
ran "ipnat -f /etc/ipnat.conf". I didn't run "ipf -f  /etc/ipf.conf",
because everything
started working without it.  Should I be running that too? I haven't setup
my rules
yet, maybe this is why I don't notice anything wrong yet?

anyways, I converted from using ipfw/natd to this setup, which is what other
people
probably do too their first time, so I wanted to know what I could remove so
that
ipfw/natd isn't activated anymore. Here's what I did:

removed the natd options from rc.conf

this stopped natd from working, but in the dmesg, I still saw alot of stuff
from ipfw.
So, I looked up in "The Complete FreeBSD" what I did to enable natd to begin
with.
I removed these 2 options from MYKERNEL and rebuilt it:
options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT

I was afraid ipf/ipnat might need these, but it all appears to still work
fine! and the
dmesg output looks better now.

Did I do it all right? Is there anything else I can remove from the old
ipfw/natd setup?
Thanks again for your help!!

Shawn M.
phastnet.com