Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:20:45 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with IBM ThinkPad T30 1400x1050 display?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 01:32:51PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have a shiny new T30 which is driving me bats. It's almost
> wonderful, but I have one FreeBSD show-stopper that I need to fix,
> work-around, or surrender. (And I love this box too much to surrender
> easily.)
>
> The problem is that the display goes crazy from time to time. I start
> X, Gnome, and Enlightenment just fine and it looks wonderful. But, if
> the display is turned off by time-out (APM) or manually pressing
> Fn-F3, the display will sometimes return to "normal" and some times
> come up with what I can only call horizontal sync problems. I see
> parts of the display repeated at various intervals across the screen.

FYI, on my not-as-shiny-as-the-tibook new T30, switching to VTY and back to
X solves the problem every time I tried it.  Note that:
 - my VTYs run at 80x50
 - This is XFree86-4.2.0_1,1
 - I'm using standard xf86cfg-generated XF86Config (no device options)
 - I'm not using GENERIC kernel, relavent options might include:
   - I'm not using splash
   - no VESA either
   - MAXCONS=32
   - I have options AUTO_EOI_1
   - -STABLE from around Jul 15

I'm not a heavy X user (MAXCONS=32!), so it could just be my luck so far.
YMMV.

-Jon