Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:46:05 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: run CVSup ahead of time>?

--==========E38CE1D7DDF9E0D82FAA==========

--On September 1, 2007 7:28:05 AM -0400 Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>=20
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am about 200 miles from the servers.
>
> Can I run cvsup now (12 hours ahead of time) safely on production
> servers, then do the rest when I get there?
>
> Noone else uses the ports system but me, or installs anything...i.e. I
> am the only one who can log into the shell.

Of course you can.

I have the same situation.  I run cvsup through periodic/daily, but I only =

update ports if portaudit reports a security problem.  All cvsup does is=20
replace source files.  It does not install anything, so nothing changes on =

your system until you run portupgrade or recompile your kernel and system=20
files.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas