Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:50:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        dustpan@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scanner installation....

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hello,

>I am a new FreeBSD user and I am about to have it installed on my system.
>However, I was told that there may be a problem with my scanner.  I have
>the ScanMaker E6 SCSI scanner connected to an Adaptec 2940AU SCSSI-II card.
> What, if any, problems might I expect when the software is being
>installed?  Also, If any problems do arise, what can I do to make the
>scanner functional with FreeBSD?

The only caveats I know of off the top of my head concerning scanners
are these:

1.  FreeBSD does not have support for particular scanners by default.
SANE does support scanners and works with FreeBSD.

	http://www.mostang.com/sane/

2.  Many scanners are somewhat poor SCSI devices and tend to do things
which negatively affect system performance.  I'm not entirely sure
what the right names for these things are; I think the problem is that
when the scanner is handling requests, it holds onto the bus and
doesn't let other devices (like hard drives) make requests or respond.
Some scanners can be set to other modes, but I don't know about the
ScanMakers.  In addition, some scanners misreport their SCSI IDs, and
so they may require minor kernel modifications for correct detection.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/