Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:18:11 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Correct kernel ops for Panic

Charles Henrich stands accused of saying:

> What would the correct set of kernel options be to ensure that during a system
> panic I get:
>
> 1) The panic and related messages in /var/log/messages

The panic messages can only be written if the filesystem code is in a fit
state to write it.  Often this is not the case.

I have noticed that if your system is setup to dump, that savecore reports
the cause of the panic when it reads the kernel image.

I'm not sure if this is what inserts the panic details into the dmesg
output.

> 2) The system immediatly reboots with no user intervention

This is _highly_ dependant on the cause of the panic.  For a proper solution,
I would recommend obtaining a hardware watchdog card.  Emerging Technologies
(www.etinc.com?), somebody who can be contacted via Brian Litzinger
(www.mediacity.com?) and various other vendors support these under FreeBSD.

I've just implemented a remote-reset capabilty for a cluster of machines
using an 8-channel relay card (~$300AUS) driving their reset lines.

The owners were much more interested in how easy it was to run a Knight Rider
pattern on the LED's on the relay board.  I feel sorry for the machines
connected next time they run the test program 8)

>     Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[