Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:42:30 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Alan Curtis <acurtis@ieee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting netatalk

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:01:54PM -0500, Alan Curtis wrote:
> I am trying to use netatalk-2.0.1 on FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE.
>
> I can start afpd manually by
>
> /usr/local/sbin/afpd -s /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.system -f
> /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default
>
> and can access the share from my Mac OS X machine.
>
> There is a script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh that is supposed to
> start afpd at startup. I cannot get that to work.
>
> I tried adding a netatalk.conf file with afpd="yes". I tried editing
> the netatalk.sh file line
>
> afpd_enable=${afpd_enable-"NO"}

> afpd_enable=${afpd_enable-"YES"}
>
> and a number of other things. But as I obviously don't know what I'm
> doing, I thought I'd ask.

You shouldn't modify the netatalk.sh file.  Just add the following
lines to /etc/rc.conf

netatalk_enable="YES"
atalkd_enable="YES"
papd_enable="YES"
afpd_enable="YES"

and the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh startup script should start
things fine.
(You might not need all of the above, if you don't want to start all
the services.)
See rc.subr(8) for some more information on how such startup-scripts
work.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson