Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:50:57 +0200
From:      Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
To:        olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
Cc:        des@des.no, smithi@nimnet.asn.au, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssh concerns

Hej All,

olli hauer schrieb:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers
>>> provides a
>>> reasonably useful list of ports NOT to choose for an obscure ssh
>>> port.
>>>
>> In practice, you have no choice but to use someting like 443 or 8080,
>> because corporate firewalls often block everything but a small number
>> of
>> ports (usually 20, 22, 80, 443, 8080, and odds are that 20, 80 and
>> 8080
>> go through a transparent proxy)
>>

> This may work if the firewall does only port and no additional protocol
> filtering. For many products used in corporate envirion it is even
> possible to filter ssh v1, skype, stunnel, openvpn with a verry high
> success rate within the first packet's on the wire.
>
> In case for the ssh server take a look into this parameters
> - LoginGraceTime
> - MaxAuthTries
> - MaxSessions
> - MaxStartups

I think nobody mentioned the overload rules from pf(4). I keep away most
of the tried attempts by using it.
Setup is pretty easy:
table <ssh-spammer> persist
pass quick log proto { tcp, udp } from any to any port ssh label
"ssh-brute" \
        flags S/SA keep state \
        (max-src-conn 15, max-src-conn-rate 10/30, \
        overload <ssh-spammer> flush global)

Obviously, read pf.conf(5) to check what you might want to configure WRT
max-src-conn and max-src-conn-rate.

These rules in combination with enforced key authentication should keep
your logfiles clean and your host secured.
No need to go to another tcp port.

Cheers,
Marian