Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 00:46:04 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   [video] My Current Plan

In no particular order of implementation , this is what I have been
thinking of doing for the next 6 months.

1. Provide X server side video extensions
   I downloaded the old X11R5 video extensions:

   http://ftp.uci.agh.edu.pl/pub/X11R5/contrib/extensions/mvex
   http://ftp.uci.agh.edu.pl/pub/X11R5/contrib/extensions/xv

   Will be evaluating the extensions based on ease of implementation &
   extensibility. For starters, I would like to provide yuv to rgb
   color expansion from a video source or from an application side.
   For the case that an application provides a yuv stream (like
   vic is capable of ) , the yuv to rgb & scaling hardware support will be
   best done thru the XIE extensions. The X Video extensions will not be
   affected since they will have direct access to the hardware.

   Targetted applications are fxtv and vic.

   If anyone has any info into an existing xvideo project please
   let me know.

2. Proceed forward to provide a hardware mpeg decoder/encoder solution
   Details a bit fuzzy however I am gathering the docs and have
   an Omnimedia mpeg encoder/decoder board.

   Should be interesting to serve up mpeg audio and video streams .
   The mpeg audio component should be very interesting because we will
   be able to serve quality audio streams at around 80kbs . At any rate,
   thats my warm fuzzy feeling 8)

3. Provide the functionality of fastvid that is disable caching of
   the video frame buffer -- experimental tests over here show
   that at least under dos and with a matrox millenium the data
   trasfer to the frame buffer can jump from 20MB/s to 80MB/s.
   A simple hardwire hack over has show positive results for
   MTV and I will imagine that vic will also benefit a lot.

If I managed to provide the above functionality in a reasonable time
we will have a decent low level video solution. What is lacking
is an application frame work -- that one is a bit tougher to
accomplish perhaps we can ride this one with recent advancements
in object technlogy in java -- for example java beans.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio