Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:27:47 -0600
From:      Mike Leman <mkleman@mtco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible CDROM problems with install

I am trying to install Freebsd 4.8 on a computer and having a great deal
of problems.   The first time I tried the install stopped when the doc
install was at 100% and would not go on.  I rebooted and it would boot,
but I didn't have much.  I tried booting from the CD to finish the
install, but that didn't work.  I would get a screen screen dump that
just kept scrolling.

Since I'm putting this on a second hard drive, I wiped everything off
the drive and started over.  When it was loading the BIN to first
directory, I noticed I was getting a lot of "/stand/cpio: invalid
header: checksum error" messages.  Then on the window with progress bar,
I got a message  "write failure on transfer".  I acknowledged the error
and received a message asking to try again yes/no.  After retrying and
failing a number of times, I selected no and the docs installed OK.
After this every part of the install had the write failure until I
stopped the install.   On monitoring side, there were invalid header
errors and other errors also.

In Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FREEBSD", he notes can be problems
with ATAPI CD-ROMs.  I have a Acer 36X CDROM that reports "ATAPI 36X
MAXIMUM" when the computer boots.  Could there be problem with the CDROM
drive?  Is there something I do for this?  Or do I have a bad install
CD?  I just purchased the intall CDs.  Also the Hard drive in fairly
new.  I bought it and installed six months ago, but have not used till now.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike