Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:58:36 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
To:        Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weirdness in RELENG_5 on amd64

Eirik Oeverby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my dual Opteron server is experiencing strange problems; the same I've
> been seeing since I installed it back in May. After a bit of uptime
> (varies between 1-2 days and a month or two, depending on the kernel
> release I am running) it will start acting up (if I'm lucky) or simply
> panic. I have no panic message dump, since the box is very far away and
> last time it paniced I had no serial console.

Sounds a little like the trouble I had with my dual opteron system when I was
still running it on an MSI board. The main problem here seems to be the VIA
chipset.

You are not running this hardware, are you? Otherwise strongly I suggest
changing it. I swapped it for Tyan Tiger, and no more of these problems since.

--WjW