Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:43:02 +0100
From:      Christopher Raven <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   dmesg: magic number incorrect

Hi,

It seems I have managed to break something again.
After rebuilding the kernel I have been getting
the above error at boot time, and also if typed at
console after boot:

#dmesg: magic number incorrect

Ok, this is what I think I did: - After upgrading
from 2.2.6 to 2.2.7 (been running fine) I tried to
add SYSVEM to the kernel so I could run "Wine".
However, I rebuilt from my original 2.2.6 kernel
and not the new Generic kernel  (with hindsight
this was maybe not such a bright thing to do).

Assuming this is what "broke" dmesg, could I
simply recompile from the Generic 2.2.7 kernel to
fix it? Or do I need to rebuild dmesg (and
anything else that might have been affected) and /
or also rebuild 2.2.7 kernel?

TIA

Chris R.

--