Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 95 23:39:00 W
From:      Angelo Turetta <turetta@trust.stylo.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Atapi.flp boots but doesn't recognize..

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> I'd appreciate even *one* success report, folks!  As it stands now,
> without more feedback I'm just going to drop the idea.  I haven't
> heard *one* successful probe report, not one! :(

The ATAPI floppy worked for me.
Well, actually, let's say it didn't work worse than in 2.0.5R :-)

I've three major concerns about ATAPI CD-ROM support:

1) I've never been able to use the CD-ROM after a soft reset
   (i.e. #reboot ). After a cold boot, all works fine: after a reboot,
   the probe is as usual, but the PC hangs while mounting /cdrom.
   Actually, the probe itself gives an 'Unknown phase' error, but
   it's not fatal.

2) It's not possible to use the IDE CD-ROM as the secondary
   device on the IDE BUS if the master device is not present:
   I know this is conceptually right, but the CD-ROMs ship
   jumpered as slave by default, and often they come with an
   additional secondary IDE controller on which they are the
   only device. I know it hurts, but all flavours of Windows support
   this configuration. I've tried to hack myself the driver, but I
   concluded the job is not in my capabilities :-(  (basically,
   don't know enough FBSD & ATAPI internals: in fact,
   I gave up when I started experiencing strange lock-ups,
   but I hadn't still figured out point 1)  ....)

3) (but this is probably more abuot cd9660) Multisession
   capabilities are ignored: it always reads the first session.
   (I'm using a CD-Recorder as fast access storage for rarely
   used stuff, and I often burn multisession CDs)

My PC is a no-name chinese 486 DX/2 66 VLB motherboard,
20MB ram, S3 805 VLB VGA, VLB dual IDE controller, WD 1.2GB
IDE HD, two old 85 MB & 170 MB WD HD that were laying around
in my office. Most of the large disk is NTFS, but I have a 250 MB
FAT  and a 200 MB FreeBSD 2.0.5 partition (which I try to have
fun with after a whole day of WinNT :-)

I attach dmesg output & kernel config for your reference.

Hope this helps someone of you REAL hackers.
(BTW: do you really manage to have a job, to hack so much
BSD in your free time, and to have a private life ??? :-)

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
ident           ANGELO
maxusers        5

options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3
options         "SCSI_DELAY=15"         #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI
device
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce
buffers
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console

config          kernel  root on wd1

controller      isa0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI   # Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
device          wcd0    # IDE CD-ROM driver - requires wdc and ATAPI options

controller      scbus0

device          sd0

device          st0

device          cd0     #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   bpfilter        1       #Berkeley packet filter

FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #8: Tue Oct  3 22:37:32 MET 1995
    root@unix.stylo.it:/usr/src/sys/compile/ANGELO
CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x435  Stepping=5
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
real memory  = 20578304 (5024 pages)
avail memory = 18825216 (4596 pages)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed1 at 0x300-0x31f irq 10 on isa
ed1: address 00:20:a9:0b:cd:6e, type NE2000 (16 bit)
bpf: ed1 attached
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16450
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450
sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa
sio2: type 16550A
sio3 not found at 0x2e8
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: NEC 765
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC280M>
wd0: 81MB (166600 sectors), 980 cyls, 10 heads, 17 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <WDC AC31200F>
wd1: 1222MB (2503872 sectors), 2484 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <WDC AC2170M>
wd2: 162MB (333300 sectors), 1010 cyls, 6 heads, 55 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <CDA26803I SE/F1.21000>, removable, iordy
atapi1.1: unknown phase
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
bpf: lo0 attached