Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:22:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      <fbsdlist@futureuse.net>
To:        <brad@bookandmusicclubs.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Email -> SMS Gateway on FreeBSD

> I'm looking to set up an Email -> SMS gateway on my FreeBSD machine.
> Its primary use will be to notify a list of mobile phones via SMS if a
> server goes down...
[...]
> I'm really just after anyone with experience getting this to work.
> Suggestions for programs, hardware needed - and i guess most
> importantly.. is it possible.

Hi Brad,

Good news - it is possible and shouldn't be very hard to do either. You've
got these main options ...

1. Use a 3rd party service provider, they'll have software or an email
gateway you can use. We use RedRock Communications at work.

2. Write your own gateway.

For option 2 you'll need these numbers ...

Vodafone: 0414 100 200   (Int: +61414100200)
Telstra: 0418 707 767    (Int: +61418707767)

Those are public SMS services offered by the carriers. You can see from the
phone numbers that they are charged roughly at mobile phone rates, I don't
know exactly how much that is. Optus doesn't have a service like this but
I've confirmed the Vodaphone service will accept messages for Telstra and
Optus users.

The way the services work is you call them up (settings 8-n-1), send a
internationally formatted mobile number when prompted, send the SMS message
when prompted and then repeat up to another 2 times or simply disconnect.
There are prompts to indicate if your message was sent successfully or not.

I wrote a C program that did this but it wasn't for an email gateway and
I've since lost the code anyway. I've heard of a few people scripting this,
you just need a utility to call the number, send the message and interpret
the results. I'm not sure how you interface this to mail.

Back to the list - can anyone suggest some utilities that can call a
number, send a simple ASCII message and report any output? Also, any
suggestions on how to interface this with sendmail/qmail/postfix etc?

Brad, if you get any replies off list could you include me on any details
you get? I'm thinking about getting a similiar kind of thing working again.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Brad Evans
> Network Engineer
> Doubleday Australia