Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 12:58:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <P.Dekkers@phys.uu.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why so many CD's, and what for my own CD?

Hi

I know that there are 4 FreeBSD cdroms, and I saw that the one has the
basic system (cd1), and the other has the ports collection (cd3), and that
cd4 has even more ports, but I don't know why they're on cd4.

My problem is that I want to make my own CD, and now I don't know exactly
what I sould do. Of course I can put all things that are on cd1 on my CD,
but I don't have the ports do I? (However there was a file called
ports.tgz, and I remembered I could install all ports in a directory
during the installation of my 2.2.1 FreeBSD...)

Of course I want everything on one CD, and that don't fits, but what do
you suggest me? If it's really worth I can make 2 CD's, however I still
have to download everything :-) (I want to install it on more than one
machine, so I think it's worth making a CD... And everywhere I want
sendmail and gnuplot, so I really need the ports... :-) (they aren't in
the basic system are they?)

By the way; what filesystem do I have to make the CD? ISO, or RockRidge?
And do you think that is possible on a win95 machine? (The CD writer is on
a win95 machine, can't change that.)

And; Please reply to P.Dekkers@phys.uu.nl - The server which I have my
subscribtion with is still down.

Paul

P.S. I decided to install a newer version on my recently crashed server (I
could save some data, just the first partition (/) was unreadable...)
instead of the old 2.2.1 that I have on CD and that was installed before.
But if it's too hard for me to get the new 2.2.6, I think I'll install
2.2.1 because I stimply need to get the server back to work before Monday.