Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 11:12:11 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27Iago_Sineiro_Rodr=EDguez=27?= <isineiro@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:

Iago Sineiro Rodr=EDguez [mailto:isineiro@hotmail.com] wrote:

> Anybody could explain in detail the steps to upgrade FreeBSD=20
> 4.5 release to=20
> FreeBSD 4.5 releng using CVSUP.
>=20
> I try the FreeBSD handbook but is very confuse at that point.

Hi!  I just waded through this successfully, so I'll post what I =
have...

If you can get www.mostgraveconcern.com to respond, you should try the =
cheat
sheets there, as I think that they are very clear, but otherwise...

First, install CVSup.  It's been a while since I did this, but I think =
that
the simplest way to do this is to su to root, then either install the
package, or, if you installed the ports collection (which I did as a =
part of
the install), use the ports.  I have the ports, so I did:
	cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
		(because I don't have X installed)
	make
	make install
	make clean
	rehash

Then, I created a supfile.  Mine looks like:
	*default tag=3DRELENG_4_5
	*default host=3Dcvsup3.freebsd.org
	*default prefix=3D/usr
	*default base=3D/usr/local/etc/cvsup
	*default release=3Dcvs delete use-rel-suffix
	src-all

You can choose a different tag if you want to track stable or current.
Also, you should pick a different server, depending on what is close to
where you are.  The servers are listed somewhere in the handbook (I =
think
it's appendix A).

Then, at the prompt, type
	cvsup -L 2 /path/to/your/supfile

I don't need the -g tag, because I installed the version without the =
gui
stuff anyways...

Once that's finished running, do the following:

	read /usr/src/UPDATING
	if you want, look at /etc/defaults/make.conf and add any options you
		want to /etc/make.conf (_don't_ modify the defaults file...)
	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
	modify MYKERNEL as you see fit -- use the handbook to help with this
		(section on making your own kernel...)
	cd /usr/src
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL
	make installkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL
	cp /kernel.old /kernel.ORIGINAL
		(this way, if something goes wrong, you always have the
original)
	shutdown now
		(select the default shell)
	cd /usr/src
	make installworld
	mergemaster
		(make sure you read up on this, as it's not clear from the
handbook
		 how this works exactly -- basically, choose to merge
interactively,
		 then use the 'l' and 'r' keys to merge the files, and then
'i'
		 to install)
	reboot

That's it, roughly.  After reading this, you should go back to the =
handbook,
and see if it makes more sense now that you know what all the steps =
are...

HTH,
Ricky