Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:01:03 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solving the stack gap issue

In message <20020819045750.C16172-100000@gamplex.bde.org>, Bruce Evans writes:

>The discussion was in response to axeing an undead version of
>trap_pfault().  This version was intended to be used to drop support
>for direct accesses.

Thanks, yes, I remember now. Of course the detection of kernel
accesses to user memory in trap_pfault will only trigger on unmapped
addresses. To be useful for detecting this kernel code we would
ideally want a way of catching all accesses, even if turning on
that detection had a big performance penalty.

>Even copying in pathnames is not such a good idea then.  The copying
>would have to be done in several compat opens, not to mention in all
>other syscalls that take pathnames, instead of only in namei().

The compat modules generally want to munge paths by prepending
/compat/linux for example, so all syscalls that take path arguments
need to accept a kernel-space string (unless we move the path munging
into namei). It is very easy to handle paths in the sys_*() functions
anyway, as the uio_seg argument can be passed straight into NDINIT().

Ian