Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:35:30 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with CVS

First off, if anyone know a better list for CVS questions,
please point me in the correct direction.  The website only
seemed to have lists about the development of CVS, and I
didn't find a "user discussion list" or anything of that sort.

I'm no pro on CVS, so this question may have a simple answer.

I had a CVS repository on my server that was under /usr/home/cvsroot
and I was using it for almost a year for two projects.  A month or
so ago, we upgraded this server with a newer/faster/larger HDD, and
the CVS repository moved to /home/cvsroot (since the new HDD had a
slightly different partitioning scheme)
With a few tweaks, my repositories were able to communicate to the
new CVS server (via pserver) with no problems, all is as it was.

Until I tried to add a new project to the repository this morning.
I use "cvs import" and the result is "/usr/home/cvsroot: no such repository"
If I use cvs login, it says I'm logging into /usr/home/cvsroot
as well.

If I give the command thusly:

cvs import -d :pserver:uname@hostname:/home/cvsroot import proj x y

it works as expected, but even then, any other cvs commands compalain
of the nonexistent /usr/home/cvsroot directory, unless I use the -d
option.

I've checked everywhere I can think of (.cvspass, files in the CVS
directories of other projects, the inetd config that starts pserver
on the CVS server) and can find no reference to /usr/home/cvsroot,
everything is configured for /home/cvsroot

What am I missing?  I know I could just create a symlink /usr/home
to patch the problem.  But I'd rather learn what I did wrong and
fix it than hack around it.

Any suggestions?

--
Bill Moran