Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 07:37:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Little PPP stupid probs...

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Sorry about this crap... I'm behaving like a lazy beginner, sorry.
> >
> > I tried to use ppp's term command to log in and effectively remarked that
> > my chat script wasn't correct. So here is my little session:
> [.....]
> > ppp ON outpost>
> > PPP ON outpost> Warning: Del route failed: 0.0.0.0: Non-existent
> > // I don't understand this ast message...
> > // I then wait a few minutes and it simply disconnects...
> > PPP ON outpost> fetchmail: no other fetchmail is running
> > Can't connect to audio server
> >
> > ppp ON outpost> q
>
> This looks good.  I suspect the above error is caused by a line
> saying something like ``delete 0'' in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.  This
> should not be a problem.  If you want to keep the line, change it to
> ``delete! 0'' - the ``!'' tells ppp to ``just do it and shut up''.

This is my ppp.linkup:
--------------------------------
MYADDR:
 delete 0
 add 0 0 HISADDR
---------------------------------

OK. It's been quite a while since I setup ppp, and even then I only
understood a thin layer of what I needed, so is this file correct? Why
should I need to delete/keep the 'delete 0' line?

> As you've got the ``PPP'' (capitals) prompt, you've successfully
> authenticated.
>
> This doesn't necessarily mean you've negotiated IPCP yet (this is the
> ``layer'' that lets you transfer IP traffic over the link), but if
> the ``delete 0'' error message from above is comming from something
> in ppp.linkup, it means that IPCP works ok.  If in doubt, add IPCP
> logging (``set log +ipcp'') to see how that side of things fairs.

As I said, my log seems to be screwed, but I'll try again.

> My guess is that you haven't got a line in ppp.linkup that says
>
>   add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> or
>
>   add default HISADDR
>
> They both do the same thing - and are necessary to say ``send
> traffic down this link by default''.

Well, my guess would be more like: I have it, but it's not a the good
place...

> The disconnect is probably due to the inactivity timer.

Probably. It's quite long...

> > I guess I'm missing some info about that ISP...
>
> Check that /etc/resolv.conf contains lines saying
>
>   nameserver x.x.x.x
>
> where x.x.x.x is your ISPs DNS - you can have lots of these lines.

There it is:
nameserver      132.204.2.103
nameserver      132.204.2.102

> Appart from this, there's no other ISP information that needs to be
> entered (except maybe when configuring mail).

Sure? Not even some IP's or gateways or masks or domainnames, it seems
like chinese right now...

> > Sorry again for being so imprecise...
> >
> > There's one other thing... This last try in term mode didn't issue any
> > log. Is it nmormal?
>
> No.  It should always write to the log unless you ``set log'' with
> values that prevent it.  Bear in mind too, you can ``set log local
> ...'' to see stuff displayed on the screen instead of (or as well as)
> the log file.

Good! I'll try that!

> I reckon your best bet at this point is to get the latest ppp from
>
>   http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html
>
> Ppp now remembers the ``add default hisaddr'' line so you can just
> put it in ppp.conf and forget about it (it's not required in
> ppp.linkup).  It's also got lots of new features and is generally
> more robust than older versions.

Hmmm... is it really worth it? I got a really poor connection, and I
wouldn't want to waste precious connection time...:(

> The latest version has some pretty precise information on connecting
> to your ISP in the man page and has a much more detailed
> ppp.conf.sample too.

more and more interesting...:)

What I will do:

- retry ppp in term mode w/o the delete 0 line.
- add more logging on the line...
- report to the list...
- Maybe install the new ppp
- Come back to report...