Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:51:41 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Erik Manders <erik@il.ft.hse.nl>
To:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS + Quotas in current

James FitzGibbon is said to have made the following statement:

> Is support for quotas over NFS new in 3.0-current ?  I can do it on one of
> my machines (which is 2.2, upgraded to -current, and has had world made
> on it in the last two weeks), but it doesn't work with a 2.2.1R machine or
> a 3.0-970209-SNAP machine freshly installed (having recompiled the kernel
> with "options QUOTA").
>
> If it is new in the last two months, how stable is it ?  I'd appreciate
> thoughts on the doability of it being merged into RELENG_2_2, or if a diff
> applied to the /src/sys/nfs tree would be even feasible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> j.

Well, I have got it to work, mostly. The only thing I haven't gotten to work
yet is the ability to set quotas over the net. This will require kernel hacking
Quotas seems to be stable to the extent that you can export a filesystem with
quotas and have the server enforce them. It is even possble to have quota(1)
report quota and limit data to a remote user, but only if the quota file is
in the mounted filesystem and rpc.rquotad is running on the fileserver.

Patching rpc.rquotad to keep working even if the quota files are located
outside their filesystems is easy, make a one line change to
.../libexec/rpc.rquotad/rquotad.c::initfs().

 stat(qfpathname, &st);

should be changed to

 stat(fs_current->st_dev, &st);

Cheers,

  Erik Manders                                        erik@il.ft.hse.nl
--
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion; it is by the cans of
cola that the thoughts acquire speed, hands acquire shaking, the shaking