Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:06:16 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Horror story

There's an important lesson here, for anybody installing or
upgrading any operating system.

[Details snipped.]

> I do not want to reinstall Windows from scratch: I would lose years of
> data, and I have no problems with my existing Windows installation (besides
> the usual problem of it being Windows, of course :->).

[...]

> This is very frustrating: Not only did I lose my original FreeBSD 2.2.8
> installation I had on my first drive for months, [...]

This sort of thing should never happen.  With any Unix variant
that I have used in the last million years, you are warned about
it.  I have no idea if the drones from Redmond provide similar
warnings, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

What's the warning?  BACK UP ANYTHING THAT MATTERS **BEFORE**
YOU START.  Sorry for shouting, but this is the single most
important instruction.  If you have data on your disks that you
don't wish to lose and for some peculiar reason you are either
unwilling or unable to back it up, either physically remove the
disk with the precious data or forget about the installation
until you have backed up your data.  There are no reasons ever
to ignore this advice, no matter how much you know or how much
experience you have or how clever you are.  Things go wrong.
Backups allow you to recover.

This response does nothing to help solve the actual problem, of
course -- but I haven't followed the saga carefully enough to be
able to say anything constructive about that and other people
are trying to help.  However, the warning here needs to be seen
and heeded by everybody.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>