Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 03:38:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com (Howard Goldstein)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem for the VM gurus

Howard Goldstein said:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:38:51 -0400 (EDT), Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org> wrote:
>  : On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>  : >     ... what version of the operating system?
>  : 4.0-CURRENT
>
> 3.2R too...

I just checked the source (CVS) tree, and something bad happend
between 1.27 and 1.29 on ufs_readwrite.c.  Unless other things
had been changed to make the problem go away, the recursive vnode
thing was broken then.  I am surprised that was changed that long
ago.  (The breakage is an example of someone making a change, and
not either understanding why the code was there, or forgetting to
put the alternative into the code.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid