Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:06:35 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        randy <randy@turbowarp.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated Ports

randy wrote:
> Is it proper to download individual ports into the ports tree?  Or do I
> have to update the whole thing, for some reason?

That's a tricky question.  If you don't update the whole thing, you risk
getting into dependency problems where one part of the ports tree requires
another section to work properly, yet that section isn't updated, so the
port fails.
If you know what dependencies the port you're interested in requires, or
you know that it doesn't have any dependencies; you can update only what
needs to build.
You can also rule out a lot of ports for obvious reasons.  For example,
I speak English, so I never bother to update the Japanese or Korean
sections of the ports tree.  There is an outside chance that this could
bite me in the butt at some point, but if it does, I'll just "make clean",
upgrade the whole ports tree and try it again!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies