Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:59:02 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fics

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 11:42:07AM -0500, Buliwyf McGraw wrote:

> Anybody knows about a trojan or something bad called "fics"???
>
> I found this in one pc on my intranet:
>
> Interesting ports on  (192.168.20.50):
> Port    State       Protocol  Service
> 5000    open        tcp       fics
>
> Thanks by any coments...

FICS is the Free Internet Chess Server, a server for providing human-to-human
play across the 'net to gnuchess, xboard and similar chess programs.

I guess your question is better rephrased as 'Anybody know about a trojan
or something bad listening on port 5000', though I guess somebody might
be running a gnuchess/xboard/WinBoard or something on that PC; I do not
remember if FICS clients also needed a listening port on the client side,
though I think not.

G'luck,
Peter

--
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI