Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:50:57 +0900
From:      NISHIO Shuichi <nishio@caleche.kecl.ntt.co.jp>
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APIC_IO problem on Tyan S1668

From: Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 12:15:12 -0700

> There's the problem, I should have caught it sooner.  The SMP kernel sources
> are mutually exclusive with the mainline kernel sources.  When you did the
> cvsup not only did that modification go away, but almost everything else SMP
> specific must have gone away!  reload the SMP kernel sources into a
> seperate directory, say /usr/src/smpsys.  then cd to /usr/src/smpsys/i386/conf,
> config, make, install, etc., all in the /usr/src/smpsys tree.  When the
> "include" headers are somewhat out of sync between the mainline code and the
> SMP code it sometimes becomes necessary to play games where you keep the SMP
> src in the same tree (ie /usr/src/sys), but since the SMP src and the
> 3.0-970209-SNAP are in sync you don't need to bother.

Thank you, I understood that I was doing a terrible mistake: I thought I
needed to 'update' the SMP kernel code to 09/Feb/97. After rebuilding
the kernel with the latest SMP code, dmesg problem went away.
However, the problem with DEC ethercard on the kernel, with APIC_IO and
SMP_INVLTLB defined, didn't change.

Nishio Shuichi